A five-sided fort closing Mobile Bay since 1834
A masonry pentagonal bastion fort holding the mouth of Mobile Bay from the tip of Mobile Point, finished in 1834 and garrisoned in March of the same year. It stands on the site of the earlier Fort Bowyer, an earth and stockade work that saw the last land fighting of the War of 1812. Together with Fort Gaines across the water on Dauphin Island it closes the bay, which is exactly why both of them are there. The Alabama Historical Commission keeps the site.
Other places on the map within a couple of hours of here.