
Twenty-three Corinthian columns standing alone in the Claiborne County woods, all that is left of a mansion finished in 1861 and burned in 1890 by a guest who dropped a cigarette. Nobody had a photograph of the house until a Union officer’s sketch surfaced in the 1990s. Grant’s men used it as a hospital and left it standing; a careless smoker did not.
Claiborne County
See it on the map